Various Direct Links

05 October 2011

Praise: PM David Cameron, Conservative for Gay Marriage

In an article on JoeMyGod, originally on PinkPaper, the U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron had an excellent statement on family values and societal values.

"I once stood before a Conservative conference and said it shouldn’t matter whether commitment was between a man and a woman, a woman and a woman, or a man and another man," he said.

"You applauded me for that. Five years on, we’re consulting on legalising gay marriage. And to anyone who has reservations, I say: Yes, it’s about equality, but it’s also about something else: commitment. Conservatives believe in the ties that bind us; that society is stronger when we make vows to each other and support each other.


"So I don’t support gay marriage despite being a Conservative. I support gay marriage because I’m a Conservative."


The arguments here are simple, clear, and conservative.  Equality.  Commitment.  Good, old-fashioned conservatism.  Would that modern U.S. Republicans would embrace such a conservatism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No longer open for freely commenting.