Various Direct Links

28 May 2012

Memorial Day 2012



When I joined the Navy, after the Vietnam War and  before the wars that followed, I was aware that there could be a war and that I could die for my country.  I was aware, but I didn't believe it would happen to me.  Like many young people, I believed that I was invincible and would live forever.  Any war would be more like Hollywood and less like a battlefield.  In other words, I was young and stupid, or at least naive. 

We returned to fighting wars before my Honorable Discharge.  I was not involved in our war in Grenada nor did I see action, other than a bar fight.  I was incredibly lucky and thus I am here to be writing this blog post.

Freedom was built upon sacrifice and today is the day set aside to remember those who did not survive the fight for freedom.  It is important to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No longer open for freely commenting.