Various Direct Links

07 December 2011

Praise: Christmas in the United States

This may seem like a very strange blog post for a Jew to write.  It is the season once again for the supposed War on Christmas and I find myself getting ready to wish friends, family, students, and colleagues "Merry Christmas" as I always do.  The controversy now includes a War on Christmas website.  Really??!?  They need a website to focus just on "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays"?

There are some reasons for a Jew to not take any of this seriously.  For starters, the religious holiday is not my holiday.  Jesus was supposed to have been Jewish, but Jews do not worship fellow Jews.  Christians worship Jesus; good for them.  New 2 Torah, not a Jewish website, has a funny article and cartoon about Christmas.  Here's the cartoon:

If you are curious, Jeremiah 10:1-5 really does prohibit Christmas trees.  And television personalities like Bill O'Reilly really do believe that American society is losing the Christian roots of Christmas.  But, this is not a twenty-first century phenomenon, it has its origins in the nineteenth century.

In 1870, President Ulysses S. Grant declared Christmas a federal secular holiday.  It had to be a secular holiday because of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.  So, the 26th of December 2011 will mark 141 years of Christmas being a secular holiday in the United States.

If you are wondering why it isn't the 25th, that is because the purpose of the secular holiday is to give federal employees a day off.  The 25th is a Sunday and is already a day off.  Because of public employee unions, this year federal employees will also enjoy Monday the 26th as a day to spend with their families.

Because Christmas is a federal secular holiday in addition to (not instead of) being a religious holiday for Christians, I feel very comfortable wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, even in school.

19 December 2011, FollowUp Apology.   This cartoon has been modified from the original, full explanation and the original art is included with my apology.

4 comments:

  1. @ Some Teacher:
    With warmth and affection I wish you a Merry Christmas with Prosperity & Peace in the New Year.
    BILLOFTHEDESERT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bill of the Desert. You are very kind. Likewise, may 2012 bring you peace and prosperity. Merry Christmas. ST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teacher, I am glad I finally made over to your neck-o-the-woods, here. How funny that you have the Charlie Brown cartoon. I just watched "Charlie Brown's Christmas" two nights ago on Hulu. That, and a few other Charlie Brown specials, have deep, childhood roots with me, and for some darn reason, they really move me. I know much of it is because of the music. I have two copies of Vince Guaraldi's soundtrack on CD. It is my favorite Christmas album. One of my favorite things to do when visiting home for Christmas, is building a fire, and listening to Johnny Mathis' Christmas album with Mom. I also have a copy of it. It (he) is fantastic. That would have to be my very close second favorite.
    I find it interesting that, though not a Christian, these things have real meaning for me. And, I am quite comfortable with that. Even more so, after learning a bit more about it all, from that wise, old sage, Linus.
    Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Joyful Winter Solstice to you and yours, Teacher.
    Cheers~
    beeblmeyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beebs,
    I have similar fond memories. I really should unbury the sheet music that I have somewhere from the Peanuts animations. The creations of Charles Schulz are nothing short of iconic.
    Please feel free to drop by any time.
    May 2012 bring you prosperity and peace. ST

    ReplyDelete

No longer open for freely commenting.